Frequently Asked Questions
How do I order a check on someone?Just click Start, create an account and then enter the name and email address of the person you want the check on. We'll do the rest, and when the result is back from the Ministry of Justice we'll send it to you.
You can learn more about the process here.
How are criminal record checks carried out?All criminal record checks, no matter who you order them from, are carried out by the Ministry of Justice.
Companies like CheckPlease that order a high volume of checks can order checks electronically from MoJ with a faster 3, 10 or 15 working day turnaround. We also have a dedicated account manager at MoJ who can resolve issues quickly. In return we pay fees to MoJ and incur legal responsibilities including identity verification and record retention. Access to MoJ's online service means that we can offer you a paperless online service with fast turnaround.
Our web site shows you a calculation of when you can expect your result, based on the priority you select.
Can I be invoiced instead of paying with credit card?Yes. If you expect to order checks at least every month, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for a credit account with us. We will then invoice you monthly for your checks, for payment within the next month. A fee may be incurred for a credit check on your company for us to process your application.
Do you offer volume discounts?Yes. Contact us at email@example.com or call us and tell us about your business needs.
What is the most cost effective way to order high volumes of checks?If you have high volumes of checks, then you may benefit from joining the MoJ CCH priority service.
This allows you to submit requests online and pay a fee directly to MoJ of $20, $14 or $8.50 for 3, 10 or 15 day turnaround.
See our Member plan for more details.
What are the advantages of CheckPlease over other suppliers?
- A modern paperless mobile-friendly experience for the individual. Candidates today don't expect to have to print and fill out forms by hand - many don't own a scanner. We continuously fine tune the individual experience and have reduced the average time to completion down to less than 5 minutes (and even less for subsequent checks).
- A branded experience for individual - present your employment or corporate brand (requires branding option).
- Low prices.
- CheckPlease is NZ-based and NZ-owned, and responsive to your needs.
Can anyone provide criminal record checks faster than CheckPlease?No. The MoJ always performs the actual check, and they provide the same service level to all suppliers of criminal record checks.
At CheckPlease, we ensure the fastest possible response times by having a dedicated identity verification team that processes requests outside NZ working hours, and using a custom-built and fully automated platform to smooth the process of performing checks.
Can I integrate the criminal record checks process into my other business or recruitment systems?Yes, we provide an easy to use API that your developers can use to integrate at the software level from your own systems. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Simplify and streamline your Criminal Record checks with the CheckPlease realtime dashboard.
- See the status and results of all of your checks on a single dashboard
- See actual processing times, and make more cost-effective priority choices
- Automatically share results and status updates with your own client
- Alerts for checks that are due for verification (self service only)
- Order new checks in seconds
Automated client communications
Keep your own clients or hiring managers automatically and instantly updated.
- Update your clients automatically on check status changes, delays and results
- Automatically accept orders from clients by email (coming soon)
100% online ID verification wizard
Verify ID documents quickly, easily and from anywhere with the CheckPlease mobile-friendly verification wizard (self service only).
- Be alerted as soon as individuals are ready for verification
- Zoom and pan around ID documents to view expiry, name and signature details
- Effortlessly bounce checks back to the individual for error correction (e.g. missing or obscured pages, wrong ID type)
- Inbuilt OCR for automated fraud detection (coming soon)
Gain visibility into every step of the process.
- All interactions between client, individual, verifier and MoJ are recorded
- Retained for the period required by Ministry of Justice